startAD Youth Entrepreneurship – Spring Incubator Program
February 7 – April 20, 2020
Over 10 weeks, 67 Youth Entrepreneurs from 10 universities from around the UAE developed 17 startup projects that aim to address some of the largest challenges the world faces today.
Meet these young innovators at the startAD virtual showcase on Monday, April 20, 2020 6:00PM – 8:30PM Gulf Standard Time.
The startAD Youth Entrepreneurship Program actively encourages and practically supports entrepreneurship and innovation endeavors among UAE youth. The 3-month-long program targets university students between the ages of 18-25 with an idea for a (tech-enabled) startup. The program primarily focuses on teaching select teams the tools and skill sets to develop a startup that is scalable, repeatable and capital-efficient through a highly customized training and mentorship process. The initiative also offers teams that are ready to do so, opportunities to drive partnerships with leading institutions supporting the program .
Who should apply?
- Idea stage
- Must be tech-enabled
- Must not have received prior funding of more than USD 10,000 (for existing projects)
- Submission of Initial write-up/pitch deck as a supporting document (optional)
- Must reside in the UAE
- Between the age of 18-25
- A team (of 2-4 members) is preferred
- Demonstrable passion to the problem that the startup hopes to solve. Availability to attend ALL program activities
- Learn to apply a business framework to ideas
- Align solutions with the actual customer needs, and learn how to prototype
- Validate business models and discover future market opportunities
- Work with startup coaches from leading institutions (NYU Tandon School of Engineering & NYU Entrepreneurship Institute)
- Benefit from a dedicated 1-1 mentorship with serial entrepreneurs and industry experts
- Learn transferable soft skills (building the entrepreneurial persona)
- Cash prize: $5000 startAD award to top 3 teams. $10,000 ‘National Impact Award’ from Sandooq Al Watan for the top team in the program
- Perks: Food. Transportation & accommodation based on individual need basis. Access to startAD Central co-working space and Al-Warsha (prototyping lab)
- Submit an application: This is mandatory to be considered to the program. Only one application per team is required.
- Complete an interview: Applicants that make a strong case in their applications will be invited to an interview.
- Attend bootcamps and workshops: An array of topics will be covered including design thinking & ideation, prototyping, and building the entrepreneurial persona.
- Pick a mentor: Participants will benefit from an added value of working with a personal mentor to provide extra support.
- Complete mid-way program check-in: Report on progress. Receive detailed feedback. Plan for the reminder of the program.
- Present at the Startup Showcase: Pitching opportunity in front of a panel of judges and a public audience.
NYU Entrepreneurial Institute at New York University
Specialist in Small Business Growth
General Manager of Digital Future Lab
NYU Tandon School of Engineering